Step back in time with the History department! Please explore our History pages, to find out more about what we offer as a department.
The History department consistently aims to reinforce the ethos and values of Cleethorpes Academy through high expectations, mutual support, passion for the curriculum area and the constant drive to improve both as Historians and as individuals.
'There is no history of mankind, there is only an indefinite number of histories of all kinds of aspects of human life'. - Karl Popper
History is uniquely placed to offer knowledge and skills that can be applied to the wider world and can be linked to almost all areas of study and personal development. History allows us to:
As a faculty, we are proud to offer our students the chance to develop and prosper in a way that benefits them for the rest of their lives.
We have a number of dedicated, professional and fully qualified staff, who are passionate about and dedicated to the teaching and enjoyment of History.
We offer dedicated, well equipped and comfortable classrooms, equipped with interactive facilities or a projector and a wide range of quality resources, ranging from excellent detailed textbooks and artefacts to subject specific software.
Students follow a carefully structured Key Stage 3 programme in years 7 and 8, with the option of taking History GCSE in year 9. Greater numbers of students are choosing History as an option, we expect this to further increase as History is now part of the core of subjects required to achieve the English Baccalaureate qualification.
Key Stage 3: Students study History from the Romans through to the 20th Century. Areas covered include Medieval realms, Tudors and Stuarts, World War One and World War Two. In year 7 and 8, all students have two lessons a week of History.
GCSE: In GCSE History students in Year 11 study the Modern World" Syllabus of the OCR Examination Group. In Year 9 and 10 students study the AQA syllabus. Students receive three lessons a week of History, with our aim being that they retain the same teacher throughout the course.
Paper One is a knowledge and understanding paper. This involves the study of Aspects of International Relations-The Cold War 1945-75. The paper is bolstered by an in-depth study of Germany from 1919 to 1945 focusing on Weimar Germany and the Rise, consolidation and rule of Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party.
Paper Two is a source based paper that focuses on building on and analysing historical skills. This paper involves the study of a depth study of Britain from 1890 to 1918, including the Liberal reforms, Votes for Women and Britain During World War One.
These two written exam papers which together, make up 75% of the marks. The other 25% of the marks are awarded for an in-depth Controlled Assessment, based on the USA in the 1930s. All students will take the same exam papers and all grades (G-A*) are available.
Year 9 and 10
Paper One involves a period study and a wider world depth study. The period study that will be completed focuses on Germany 1890-1945 and the wider world depth study will look at conflict and tension 1918-1939 focusing on the Treaty of Versailles, the League of Nations and the build up to World War Two.
Paper Two involves a thematic study and a British depth study. The thematic study students will investigate looks at migration, empires and the people focusing on Britain from 790 to the present day. The British depth study will be on the Normans with a specific site study that will change for each GCSE.
History Clubs are available for students throughout Key Stage 3 and 4. These have a local history theme and are currently closely linked to the centenary of WW1. Students have recently investigated the role of the 'Grimsby Chums' during the Battle of The Somme in 1916.
The study of History lets you develop skills which could lead to many different career choices. History is widely regarded as a rigorous and challenging qualification by employers and education providers and is popular for all areas of development. As well as a broad range of historical and contemporary contextual knowledge, history develops skills of interpretation and analysis useful in all jobs, including high flying professional careers like politics, law and the media.
History links well with all subjects, but particularly Humanities subjects such as English, Religious Education, Law, Philosophy and Geography.
Some examples of careers History can lead to are:
Accountancy, Archaeology, Architecture, Barrister, Broadcasting, Civil Service, Diplomatic Service, Drama Theatre and the Performing Arts, Media, Teaching, Public Relations, Journalist, Legal Executive, Police, Politics, Publishing, Sales and Marketing, Solicitor, Tourism, Town Planning, TV Researchers, Lawyers.
However there are many more!